If you enjoy off-road adventures and enjoy electric skateboarding, you might just fall in love with the 4WD electric skateboard.
Although there are several options on the market today, the one that stands out is the “Baja board“. It’s a 4WD electric skateboard that is simply a dream come true for those who love the great outdoors.
Let’s take a look at the rise of the 4WD – how it compares to other models, and how to choose the most suitable 4WD board for your preferred riding style.
The concept of a 4WD eboard seems simple enough. It’s a four-wheel-drive motorized skateboard capable of reaching high speeds up to 30mph and handling the rough terrain that comes with off-roading.
The Baja board, in particular, is designed to be ridden almost anywhere. This all terrain e board a lot like a mountain bike, electric scooter, or a rugged snowboard. It’s also tough enough to handle the jumps as well as the drops that come with those jumps. It’s the ideal skateboard for thrill-seekers who need something as rugged as a mountain bike.
Here’s a video that introduces the Baja board to the world:
There’s a lot to say about the 4WD electric skateboard. For one thing, it’s an excellent means of transportation for those who are looking to minimize their carbon footprint as much as possible. That, however, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t come with its own set of drawbacks. Those pale in comparison when you look at the benefits that come with owning one.
Here are some of the best reasons why you should consider getting yourself a 4WD electric skateboard.
- Enjoy a more effortless ride: Unlike most off-road machines such as the mountain board and mountain bike, the motor of a 4WD electric skateboard doesn’t demand too much energy from you when riding. You don’t have to pedal or constantly push it using your feet. All you have to do is charge the battery and you can ride it effortlessly, even on hilly terrain. Just make sure to charge it fully first or carry an extra battery pack with you to keep the motor going.
- Gives you a chance to exercise: While it doesn’t need you to push, unlike a regular skateboard, you will still get some exercise when riding your 4WD electric skateboard. Whenever you ride your 4WD electric skateboard, it will demand your full attention, meaning that you have to remain focused, especially when traveling at nearly 30mph. Also, the constant shifting of your body weight from one position to another, the bending and straightening of your knees, and making sure you find the right balance at all times can be demanding on your physique. This helps to achieve a strong core as well as work out your calves, legs, and hamstrings. It also ensures that you hone your senses and coordination especially if you’re a trail rider.
- Versatile mode of transportation: The benefit of owning a 4WD electric skateboard is that you can use it almost anywhere. You can use it to get around town, go to work, and even enjoy the nice peaceful countryside on the weekends. Because most are small enough to fit in your trunk, you can take them with you on long-distance trips and use them as a mode of transportation once you arrive.
- Good speed control: Different skateboards travel at different speeds. When using a manual mountain board, you will notice that they are faster when going downhill, a little slower on flat surfaces, and almost at a snail’s pace when going uphill. In fact, in many cases, you have to carry your board uphill. This isn’t the case when dealing with a 4WD electric skateboard. Not only will you get a constant speed on all surfaces, but you won’t ever have to carry your board uphill again. In fact, it can go uphill at the same high speed at which it can go downhill.
- No more traffic jams: One of the main reasons getting yourself a 4WD electric skateboard is such a good idea is that you can use it anywhere. If you are the kind of person who prefers riding in the city, this kind of skateboard will come in handy when weaving through traffic. At 30mph, the fastest electric skateboard is as most cars will be going anyway without worrying about traffic jams.
Then, of course, there are other benefits, like the fact that you don’t have to worry about gas prices and oil changes. Even though the 4WD electric skateboard does require a bit of maintenance, it isn’t nearly as expensive as maintaining a car.
If you are ready to take your riding to the next level, here are some tips on how to choose the best 4WD electric skateboard for yourself.
- Speed: The high speed at which most off-road electric skateboards go will vary from brand to brand, but it often falls between 12 and 30 mph. The Baja board, in particular, is designed to go at a maximum speed of 30mph. The manufacturer says that it can go much faster and that this is a self-imposed speed limit for safety reasons. If you are a speed junkie, you might want to find something faster than 12 mph.
- Range: Electric skateboards depend on their batteries to operate and run. Each option has its own range. Even though board battery technology is constantly improving and these ranges will change with time, most batteries can only do the 13 to 35-mile range. How much range you need from your battery will depend on the kind of ride you want to take and whether you’re working with a dual motor or 4 hub motors.
- If you are all about riding in the city to and from work, then you might not need that much range. However, if you are keen on riding through the wilderness on the weekends, you might need something with a bit more range. Another option would be to buy an extra battery and keep it with you at all times. This essentially gives you twice the range.
- Hill climbing capabilities: If you are an urbanite, the hill climbing ability of your 4WD electric skateboard might not seem that important. However, if you are a trail rider, this aspect comes into sharp focus. For the most part, manufacturers label their off road electric skateboards as having a hill-climbing capability of 30%.
While that sounds excellent, the truth is that not many electric skateboards can do that at any reasonable speed. As such, it’s advisable to go for something that has a hill-climbing capability of 15 to 20%. That’s a reliable range for an eboard, and it means that you won’t have to carry your skateboard up most steep hills.
Most skateboards are for people who are adrenaline junkies. The 4WD electric skateboard achieves the same ends, but with a bit of a kick from a somewhat powerful motor. You can take it anywhere at any time. It’s exactly what you need if you want to skate on any terrain without reservations.